We moved. Again.

So…last weekend…we moved. Again.

Well, kinda.

Kinda, because this move wasn’t like the other ones we’ve done before. For the first time we didn’t have to recruit an army to give up their Saturday and help us shove all our crap into a moving truck. We didn’t have to drive that beast some call a Uhaul for 14 – 24 hours. We didn’t have to find some poor souls on the other end to help us unload our stuff.

No, this move wasn’t like all the others because HJ’s company paid for movers so we didn’t have to lift a finger.

Oh wait. Just kidding. That didn’t happen.

We moved ourselves once again.

But this time I was determined not to move all the junk that has accumulated in our home for the last 3 1/2 years. It is absolutely disgusting how much is in our house in Nashville. Gross.  I was determined to only move what we absolutely needed. The bare essentials.

We rented a smaller Uhaul. We packed 4 beds (HJ and I are sleeping on a queen air mattress), a couch, a table & benches, clothes, towels, a few kitchen supplies, computer, TV – cause you know that is so essential ;), and a few toys.

That’s it people. It’s awesome. You should try it. The living with the essentials thing. Not the moving thing, cause I don’t recommend that at all.

{Five Minute Fridays – word: Again}

This entry was posted in Confessions, Medical Life, My Life, Uncategorized, Writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to We moved. Again.

1. Raymonde says:

Amber! So you finally decided to move – I’m guessing to Birmingham? Can you send your new address to my email? I’m glad you are able to be with Hayden – being separated for a period of time because of work is really tough – trust me – I know – 6 years of summers worth. Liberating yourself of junk is wonderful. I’ve been doing it at our house & I’m loving it! God bless you & your family in your new home. I’ll miss seeing you when we visit the kids in TN. Take care ~

2. Brittney Shorb says:

Did you guys wear turbans on your heads, too? :)

3. Nicole says:

Amber- that is IMPRESSIVE. With kids even? I thought I did a good job whittling down my house to one truck for my condo. The more I start whittling down things, the more I want to get rid of. It’s almost an obsession. HA.
    Nicole recently posted..Five Minute Friday: AgainMy Profile

4. Stephani says:

I loved this post! We are trying to whittle down the excess. It’s a process, but it is definitely liberating! I feel so less bogged down! We have a ways to go though, but this post has encouraged me to get with it!
    Stephani recently posted..AgainMy Profile

5. Ah, moving. What a joy! NOT. Well, it sounds like you’ve made the right decision and dumped the junk. Happy Homemaking in your new abode!
    Debi @ FunkiPlanet.com recently posted..THINKING GIRL Report – for the week ending 1/26/13My Profile

6. Fiona says:

Haha – funny!! Like you I’m a fan of the dumping of the junking…..but as far as moving goes…..not for the faint hearted. Good luck and God bless!!
    Fiona recently posted..Five Minute Friday: AgainMy Profile

7. haha! just followed you on fb. first time here, love your blog and name!

Visiting from FMF!
    Love, Traci Michele @Ordinary Inspirations http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

8. I loved your description of moving and what it means. It is so real. God bless you. The picture made me chuckle. Click here to check out my 5 Minute Friday

9. Wait, you moved! I didn’t expect to hear of moving for a couple of months now. Are you getting an early start? A new city? Did I miss the details somewhere? Essentials are awesome. I am already looking around for things to get rid of and lessen our load!
    From A Doctor’s Wife recently posted..Breaking News! Protracted Medical Training Spouse (SO) BurnoutMy Profile

10. HopefulLeigh says:

Glad you got settled but not glad I didn’t get to see you before you moved. The fates were against us! Keep me posted when you’re back in town, OK?
    HopefulLeigh recently posted..This Is How Me Met: Kelley Nikondeha’s StoryMy Profile

11. Simplify. Simplify. Simplify…that’s what I keep telling myself…again :) Great story and I love the pic! It is so refreshing to live simply, but stuff is insidious and just keeps creeping in without a a firm hand of restraint against it. Thanks for sharing.

12. Hope you are settling into your new home! Must be such a relief to only unpack what is needed. We did that over the summer while we waited to move into our house, and didn’t even end up missing anything that was still in the boxes! It was refreshing to get rid of so much :)

It’s crazy stupid how we haven’t missed all that junk! Now I’ve just got to keep myself from collecting any more!

13. I moved six times in five years in my first marriage, for various reasons. It is exhausting. Now, I have had the pleasure of staying still for almost twelve years (and happily remarried) and yet, still find the urge to plow through the storage and piles to eliminate the excess. It feels freeing to not be so burdened with stuff. Found you through 5 minute Fridays.
    Emily @ My Pajama Days recently posted..Sometimes, you just have to walk awayMy Profile

14. Ali C. says:

We live on a ship that sails to a different country every year. The smallness of the space in which we live limits the stuff we can have, and I love it. The best part is getting to move all the time without any of the work; we go to a new country and our home sails with us! I think if we’re ever back in the ‘real world’ it’s going to be a shocker for us when we have to move like normal people. :)
    Ali C. recently posted..five minute friday: againMy Profile

15. I’ve moved more times than years of my life. But certain things like the dog-shaped cookie jar that I use for dog treats which I’ve had for twenty-seven years. It moved to Washington State with me for nine years. I have envisioned the pretty little ceramic head flying through the air one day and landing in an ugly heap of shards…then I’ll let it go. :-)
    Annette Skarin recently posted..Lonely Birth of a Teen-age MotherMy Profile

16. Alia Joy says:

I’ve moved quite a lot. It pretty much always stinks but I do love the feeling of new and empty. We always do a major stuff dump when moving and since we’ve been here for almost 3 years (a long time for us) we’re due a major overhaul soon. Hope you’re settling in. ;)
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: AgainMy Profile

I’m hoping this is “home” for longer than the typical 3 or 4 years like we’ve done in the past. i’m loving the less stuff thing!

17. Sandy says:

Happy Hauling!! We moved a lot the first 10 years we were married–no money, no jobs, but a dog and a cat. It did get old! But love and a sense of adventure won out–also simplicity. Great visual you ‘ve added to make your point:) xoxo

18. Loni says:

I cannot imagine moving again and again! We’ve lived in our current home for over 20 years. Ughh. . . yes, we’ve accumulated way too much!
    Loni recently posted..Five Minute Friday: AGAIN (& again & again)My Profile

I can’t imagine what my house would look like after 20 years! I’ve only been here 3 1/2 and I’m pretty sure I could be on the show Hoarders! :)

19. Nataline says:

Oh, I know that feeling. Again, we have to move again? And then I hope I get to stay forever in this new place, until I don’t…
    I’m glad your move was simpler with less stuff.
    Nataline recently posted..AgainMy Profile