Yoshi, Baby Peach, & my little boy

It’s been quite a while since I participated in Five Minute Friday. But I found myself up and at the computer just at the right time tonight. So here we go…

No stopping, no editing, just writing for 5 minutes straight on the word:

Cherished

Ready, set, GO!!!!

Today he asked me over and over again. I told him it would just be a few minutes.

Then, twenty minutes passed by.

He called for me again. I hollered back at him. I heard his little 5 year old footsteps on the stairs.

“Mooommmmyyyyy, you said you’d race me today!”

That’s true, I did. I told him I’d race him in Mario Kart today. It’s just that I kept finding other “things” to do.

I realized how many times I ignore my kids when they ask for me. I hear their requests as background noise. Never fully listening to what they are saying or what they are asking.

How sad.

I finally walked into the basement, sat on the couch, and grabbed the Wii remote.

He picked Yoshi and I picked Baby Peach.

I told him just 3 races and then I was going to start the laundry (yeah, right – the laundry, I mean).

Probably about 13 games later I hear my girls walk through the door from school. What? Where did the time go?

He and I had been having a blast. I lost ever single game we played, but boy did I have a great time together.

Next time he asks, I’ll be sure to jump on that opportunity! Those are the moments I want to hold on to and cherish!

Five Minute Friday

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Yoshi, Baby Peach, & my little boy

1. Sophia says:

Visiting from Lisa-Jo…. You are so right. Sometimes the requests of my children go unheard. Not because I can’t hear, but I choose not to. I have also made a conscious effort to do better. I stop what I am doing and make eye contact. I listen to make sure I hear.

Sophia
    twentyfiveseasons.com
    Sophia recently posted..My Weekend DigsMy Profile

2. Adriana says:

I’ve always wanted to do FMF! Thanks for the reminder, Am.

3. Pingback: My first 5 minute Friday « Fighting to thrive

4. Oy don’t I know how this is! So easy to get sidetracked by the ‘must dos’ that we forget about the ‘want to dos’. I’m the same way, after I do dishes, after I fold laundry, after I_____. Time to just let it all go and be with my kiddo.

5. Alia Joy says:

I am terrible at this sometimes. There are literally so many things to do and because I homeschool I feel like I am ALWAYS with them so when they want to spend time doing things with me, I sometimes resent the amount of time it can take to craft and play video games, and build Lego towers but you’re right. These moments pass and sometimes you just have to ignore the laundry and pick up the game controller.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: CherishedMy Profile

Hey Alia! I totally understand what you’re saying. I’m about to start homeschooling my kids and I have thought about that exact thing. I may be hollering at you for advice soon!

6. Cindy says:

Oh bless you! I have found that the times when I really take time out for my olive shoots and those are I love, the rewards are manifold. I stole time away to play Scrabble with my 18 year old while he was home from college, what a precious few hours the two of us together. Thank you for your gentle reminder, it spoke to my heart. A FMF friend!

7. Emily says:

This is fantastic – partly because Mario Kart is awesome & mainly because of the reminder to live fully in the moment and cherish time with people instead of time with to-do lists :) Have a great weekend!

8. Sherry says:

Precious. Times like that are precious and cherished.
    Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.
    Sherry
    Sherry recently posted..Cherished for 5 MinutesMy Profile

9. Nicole says:

Hey Amber! I love this post- my nephew is a Mario Kart JUNKIE and I often turn him down for games (mostly because I suck at). Next time, I’ll be sure to say ‘I’m in!’ I want to remember (and want him to remember too) having fun together even when it’s not an ‘event.’
    Nicole recently posted..Five Minute Friday: CherishedMy Profile

10. I hope he won! :) In from sits.

11. That is so true, we get so wrapped up we don’t even hear sometimes. I’m working on that this year. To just drop whatever it is I’m doing and go live with my kids. Some days I succeed more than others. Great job!
    Debi @ FunkiPlanet.com recently posted..Five Minute Friday: CherishedMy Profile

12. WICK says:

Baby Peach? That’s ur problem right there….hehe. For real though….I hear you. I need reminders all of the time that the requests for horsey rides, crab rides, and tickle-monster attacks…..are so much more than wanting something to do. They want daddy. I need to be “there” more often….thanks for writing!
    WICK recently posted..five minute friday: cherishedMy Profile

OK, well I was going to go with regular Peach, but my son was surprised I didn’t choose Baby Peach. Hmmm…maybe he did that on purpose! Or maybe it was the car I chose. And you’re so right…it probably didn’t matter what I did with him, he just wanted time together. Thanks for stopping by!

13. Linda Stoll says:

oh yes … those moments will go by so quickly … grab hold, grab hold!
    Linda Stoll recently posted..The Wedding RingMy Profile

14. What a great story. My son loves Super Mario. One of the games we play is anything on WiiFit. He beats me, always. I keep thinking one of these days he will learn to be nice to the old lady and let HER win once in a while! LOL.

I bet your son felt VERY cherished today.

Isn’t five minute friday wonderful?
    Julie Jordan Scott recently posted..#FiveMinuteFriday….. On….Cherished…..My Profile