Five Minute Friday: Join

Joining Lisa-Jo for unedited five minute write and the word is JOIN.

Here we go….

A few weeks ago I wrote about Twitter.

Well, I joined, I tweeted (or is it twittered), read lots of tweets, retweeted, replied, and then I stopped.

I went to Illinois this last weekend for a fun family wedding. I married into an awesome family. True story. Anyway… No computer. No blog. I rarely looked at my phone. I wasn’t distracted like I usually am.

It was heaven!

And I have been reluctant to join in the online “noise” again. Sometimes I feel like I’m just shouting into a crazy chaotic room trying desperately to be heard. Is that the point in all of this social media?

I recently started a book called Upended and so far I am LOVING IT!

I have only read the first 2 sections of it, but it has greatly impacted the way I think about online/social media.

Now I’m not going to go all extreme as in I’m-going-to-throw-all-technology-out-the-window or anything. But I really do think we all need time to step away from the online world and communicate face to face.

Sometimes we need to stop and join the real world again.

This entry was posted in Creative Life, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Five Minute Friday: Join

1. Sisterlisa says:

I know what you mean. When we moved I unplugged for a few months and it gave me time to rethink what I wanted in life. Now I’m back to blogging again, but balancing it out with ‘in real life’. And this is the first meme I’ve committed to in a long, long, long time.
    Sisterlisa recently posted..I got it wrongMy Profile

2. Melanie says:

So important to wrestle with. My personality loves solitude and quiet, which is already hard to come by. In reading this, I realize how much those already rare times have lessened when I can get too addicted to checking in on everything.
    Was also just thinking, our son has two days a week that are screen/tv days. But I do not impose limits on myself. I need to drink more from the wellspring in order to stay true to writing and connecting so that it does not become an idol.
    Thanks for the springboard for me to reflect!!!
    Melanie recently posted..Comment on Can you go to bed at 10 pm? by LisaMy Profile

That’s such a great point, Melanie! We limit our kids, but rarely do we limit ourselves! And truly it is the “checking in” that can be the most consuming. Because even if we just check an email before putting our kids to bed, even though we don’t spend the time responding to it, our minds can be consumed with the info and therefore not fully present with the person we are with.

3. How true!! Stop and rejoin… Getting caught in the virtual world is way too easy. I love it, but enjoy breaks and time away.
    Stefanie Brown recently posted..Five Minute Friday: JoinMy Profile

4. Kariss says:

I hate that we add to the noise! I am so thankful for the times when my phone is out of reach, the lap top is closed, and quality time happens like it should. I treasure those moments. Thanks for the perspective!
    Kariss recently posted..Haiti On My HeartMy Profile

5. Couldn’t agree more. I am considering some changes for my online life. And, it feels great to think about what could be. I appreciate your candor and your transparency. Will pray for both of us {all of us} as we ponder what will withstand the refining fire. **hugs**

thanks for the prayers, Lizzie. It’s a daily challenge for me to put it all down and step away… so know that you’re not the only one!

6. Mary says:

Incredibly thought provoking. This line haunts me: “But I really do think we all need time to step away from the online world and communicate face to face.” My husband and I recently took a long car trip and I realize that 20 years ago that was when we had some of the best talks and discussions. Now not so much because I am checking e-mail or something on my smart phone. I had already made up my mind that the next car trip will be different. I don’t usually do too much online stuff when he is home, but I need to be aware of it.

This is great…thanks for such a thought provoking post!

Mary
    Mary recently posted..5 Minute Friday…My Profile

That’s so true! Car trips have changed so much! My kids watch movies now when back in the day we had to entertain ourselves. And car trips are the best time to have those long conversations :) Like you said, we just have to be AWARE of what we are doing. Thanks Mary!

7. Ro Paxman says:

So very thought provoking. Sometimes, I’ve considered getting completely off the Internet for 3 months as an experiment. I remember what life was like pre-Internet and it was good.

I think when we back away a little, we realize that things really aren’t so urgent as they seem. Try it for a week or so, or 3 months!

8. Denise says:

Amen, I agree.
    Denise recently posted..Five Minute Friday/JoinMy Profile

9. Amber, bingo, bullseye, love your heart and words here. They resonate with me. I do love Friday’s at Lisa-Jo’s because I get to meet great new friends like you and listen to your heart. Thanks for writing on this. So fresh. So real. Look forward to getting to know you more. Love when I stumble on you and your writing style. Honest. Thanks friend. You refresh my spirit this morning.
    Elizabeth, wynnegraceappears recently posted..When One Plus One Equals OneMy Profile

10. I’m not “joining” in the writing today but am reading, and I’m so glad, because I found this refreshing post!
    “Sometimes I feel like I’m just shouting into a crazy chaotic room trying desperately to be heard.” Yes! That does seem to describe social media totally! I intentionally take a couple days off from this, and find the freedom “heaven” too! So then I try to cut back, but get drawn back, as much as anything from people laying guilt if I don’t “join” and remain “joined.” It’s like the go-along-with-the-crowd stuff in high school or get labeled bad. Am I not a little old to let myself get pushed around by such peer pressure and trying to keep up with the fast-running crowd? I wonder if it’s an addiction, or can quickly become one, because most addictions can only be broken by… quitting. Like you, I’m still trying to “cut back.” I pray this works, and wonder if it will…
    Thanks for this very thoughtful post. I think you’ve prompted me to write for more than five minutes! Do you mind if I quote you in a post as I did here? I’ll link to your blog post, as well worth reading.
    Sylvia Robertson recently posted..How the Seed Gets Receptive GroundMy Profile

Sylvia- So glad you stopped by! I would encourage you to just be true to yourself. You know what’s best for you. Don’t be “guilted” into thing you don’t want to participate in (online or off!). I know how easy it is to slip into things we don’t want to do or know that it’s not good for us. I really don’t mean to sound like a lecturing mom, sorry. Here is a link to a post from when I took 6 weeks off of Facebook. It was hard, but it help break the feeling that I “needed” to log on and check in. I think when you realize life does go on without social media, it puts life into perspective again. I encourage you to try. Maybe set some limits at first. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. And yes, you can quote me….thanks :)

11. This friend “Is joining in on the noise really doing us any good? Or is it just distracting us from the important people right in front of us?” totally captures what rolls around in my head most days! Plus, how can I balance it all? Does it really matter? blah, blah, blah, blah, blah . . .

When I’m ready to give it all up, then out of nowhere someone will encourage me, like what I wrote about yesterday “when you can’t see if your words matter.”

I need to check out that book.
    Positively Alene recently posted..get off the bench.My Profile

that is so true Alene! Just when I was doubting myself the other day, I had a conversation with a friend who spoke the sweetest words and told me to keep on writing. Those little nudges of encouragement always seem to come at just the right time :)

12. Tara says:

LOVE this! I totally agree.
    I feel sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad when I’m texting or Facebooking and half ignoring my children (if I’m being honest with myself, that’s what I do!) – and it’s not fair to me or them. Like you said – I’m distracted! “Yes, mommy is listening!” But I’m really only half listening b/c I’m running through my newsfeed – which I get sooooooooooooo upset with THEM if they don’t look me in the eye when I’m talking to them, etc. So it hurts – but thank you for making me call myself out!
    My 3 year old was playing with an old phone the other day and saw the blue F and said “Facebook!”
    Now, my 3 year old can also tell you that Jesus died on the cross for us and why – but STILL – is THAT what kind of example I’m setting for my sweet children whom I’m raising and sculpting?!
    Not cool!
    Another great, awesome book is WEIRD by Craig Groeschel – have you read it? I think you would love it.
    Have a blessed day!
    Tara

I am right there with you Tara! My kids call me out when I’m on my phone and/or computer. I’ve tried turn it all off between 3pm-8pm when they get home from school so I can be “all there” for them. It just goes to show that our actions speak louder than words with these little guys.

Haven’t heard of that book. I’ll have to check it out! Thanks!

13. Important questions. Because if your encouragement and joy comes mostly from the people you tweet or facebook with, life is off balance. So glad you are asking these tough questions. I will be curious where you end up.
    Laura @ Pruning Princesses recently posted..When a kid refuses to playMy Profile

14. Love that- yes, a screen “fast”

I call it – no TV Tuesday- we usually do this Tuesdays (obviously)-
    it includes any screen- computer, video games- etc….
    board games with the kiddos takes the place- LOVE it & they do too!
    xo,

Shannon

Shannon- I LOVE board games! I know my girls would like this idea. OK, I’m going to have to implement something at my house. But weening the 5 year old off the Wii is gonna be a tough one.

15. Loni says:

Ohhhhh – you are SO SO right! I try to take a “Sabbath” from blogging on Sunday’s. I do some ahead so they are programmed to be listed.

In that book I mentioned, one of the authors’ family has “screen free Sunday.” I think I might need to try that too. Thanks for “joining” in over here, Loni!

16. Steph says:

I could not agree more!!! I have a love/hate relationship with social media/networking… it seems like a ‘necessary’ waste of time

17. Sarah says:

This is SO how I’ve felt recently. I’ve especially had a hard time since I can get so distracted, like you said, feeling desperate to be heard but not wanting to be fake while making my effort.
    Thank you for sharing truth, and for being honest!
    Sarah recently posted..Joining the Ranks of the UncoolMy Profile

So comforting to know I’m not the only one that feels that way! THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY! -can you hear me shouting ;)